Sunday, November 9, 2008

Headlong into Fall

I feel I've been remiss in posting suitably autumnal recipes here. Nothing pumpkin so far, except for our jack-o-lanterns. No squashes, no chestnuts. What have I been thinking? Well, I have been cooking with these ingredients, but can you blame a girl for not posting before she thinks the recipes are really ready? I'm hoping to put up some very fall-inspired food in the coming weeks, and here's a nice pumpkin recipe to start us off. Ready? I thought so. 

This morning I was in the mood for pumpkin, so I looked around for a recipe and tweaked it a bit, and Hubband and I made some whole-grain pumpkin pancakes for breakfast. 
They turned out perfectly. Incredibly moist, soft, and fluffy, with great texture from the added grains. Filling, but not heavy, they were a fantastic way to start our morning. I hope you'll try them, because they really were a nice twist on Sunday morning pancakes. 

Whole Grain Pumpkin Pancakes
adapted from Burp! Recipes

1 C Whole wheat pastry flour (available from Bob's Red Mill, I got it at Whole Foods)
1/4 C oatmeal (I used Old Fashioned, not instant)
2 Tb yellow cornmeal
2 Tb brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg OR cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C whole milk (I used 3/4 C half & half and 3/4 C skim milk, because that's what I had.)
2/3 C pumpkin puree
1 Tb olive oil
1 large egg

Butter (for griddle)

Heat the griddle. Measure all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine. In a medium bowl, place the milk, pumpkin, olive oil, and egg, and whisk to combine. Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients, and stir just until blended. Grease a hot griddle with butter, then place batter on, by 1/4 or 1/3 cupfuls depending on how large you want your pancakes. Wait until the pancakes have bubbles on them and the edges look dry, and then flip and cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side. Serve with butter, syrup, spiced whipped cream, candied nuts, ice cream, or whatever your heart desires. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering if you would ever be interested in becoming a featured publisher with Foodbuzz.com? If so please conctact me at lizstambaugh@yahoo.com