Monday, December 29, 2008

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

When I was little, I tried to delay the Christmas season as long as possible. Having a December birthday, I wanted everything: decor, songs, gift wrap, to have to wait until AFTER my big day was celebrated. Mom did her best to comply, and for a woman who deeply loves Christmas, I'm sure it was a little bit of a downer for her. One thing I never minded getting started on, though, was the Christmas baking. Mom always put together festive trays for the neighbors, and as we got older we were allowed to help in various ways. My sister will always be famous for biting the tops off of the Hershey's Kisses after unwrapping them. Thankfully, Mom always noticed and neighbors didn't receive nibbled chocolate. 
Now that I have a home of my own, and a deep love of baking, I do as much of the Christmas baking as Mom will give up. (Having some overlapping friends and neighbors means they would be flooded if we did separate trays.) 
Here are a few photos from this year: 

The counter on the 19th: lots of chocolate, and my Charcuterie book and mortar & pestle. The last two were for the brisket I was corning to make corned beef hash for Christmas breakfast. 
The 20th: Banana breads. 
Apple Frangipane tartlets. I like to put one or two new things on the tray every year; this was one of them. Delicious, not too sweet, with a perfume-y hint of local honey.
Trays in the back of my car, my work and Mom's combined, ready to be delivered. On them we have a loaf each of banana bread and zucchini bread, half a dozen peanut butter cookies, 8 gingerbread cookies, a dozen buckeyes, an apple frangipane tartlet, and a bag of homemade peppermint bark. 

Yes, I know that's a lot of egg crates in the corner. They are waiting (still) to be recycled.

1 comment:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Nice....your tart was beautiful!!!

I'm a FL neighbor. I think you might have accidentally given my tray to someone else? I'm just down I4 or the Greenway whichever is easiest & quickest for you in Winter Springs! FYI, for you know next year! :-)
~ingrid